The Mutes (from mars) – New Zealand’s Most Unique Rock Band
The Mutes (from mars) is a unique professional rock band that draws on the creativity and passion of a group of incredible musicians, writers and performers who have a range of social and learning disabilities, the challenges of which have not limited the possibilities and talent of six amazing rockers.
The Mutes members are committed to their musical vision of bridging the gaps in society’s understanding and perceptions of people who have been marginalised in our community as well as make and perform great music.
The band members approach their music with great passion and skill with a commitment to overcoming the challenges their life situation throws up and to create music that can foot if alongside their musical peers in the rock music community
The amazing adventures of the Mutes (from mars) include:
- Opening 2015 New Zealand Music Month on TV One’s Seven Sharp program with a piece on the band’s rehearsing and playing a gig in a pub in Grey Lynn
- Opening the Attitude Awards gala event in 2014 which was followed by their being featured on the TV documentary on the awards.
- Playing the Rock’n Roll Whangamata Beach Hop 2014 which was filmed and shown on TV One’s Attitude program.
- Performing live and beinginterviewed on radio station BFM.
- Being joined joined in rehearsal by NZ musical icon Don McGlashen
- Headlining the two day Interact Festival in 2015 and 2016
- Creating and promoting the Idea’s Got Great Talent performance concert in centres in the upper North Island 2012 for the IHC
- Creating and facilitating the Breaking Down the Barriers program of performance and music workshops in high schools which featured dancers from the professional troupe Touch Compass
- Having two documentaries filmed on the band by Attitude Films and shown on TV One
- Recording and releasing first original CD ‘Just Us’ in 2013 and their follow up EP in 2017-‘Martion Fuhtre’